Monday, October 12, 2015

The replica is inconsistent with the protected data source (ID30111)

Hi,

Today I ran into a virtual machine which after months of successful jobs started to fail while trying to protect it with via Online Snapshot.

ID 30111
The event logs on the Hyper-V host for the virtual machine did not give me any additional information so I logged onto the virtual machine itself and ran VSSADMIN List Writers and it showed almost all VSS-writers in a "[10] Failed" state with the error "Timed Out".

I restarted all failed VSS-writers but as soon as I restarted the backup-job, the VSS-writers timed out again. The application event log on the virtual machine had the following errors: 
  • Event ID 17 "Could not find a matching original volume for shadow volume \\?\Volume{GUID}"
  • Event ID 12293: "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {74600e39-7dc5-4567-a03b-f091d6c7b092}. Routine details PreFinalCommitSnapshots({a2709227-7262-48ab-987b-5dc13bac4ab9}, 1) [hr = 0x80070490, Element not found.].
    Operation: Executing Asynchronous Operation.
    Context: Current State: DoSnapshotSet.
Resolution

As Event ID 17 was referring to a volume, I opened up an elevated PowerShell-window and ran Diskpart followed by List disk.
From the output, I could see was that one of my volumes were in an Offline state:
Disk 0 Online 60 GB 0 B *
  Disk 1 Offline 20GB 1024KB
  Disk 2 Online 100GB 0 B
I opened up Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc), right-clicked disk 2 and made it Online.

Without further actions, I tried to perform a consistency check on the virtual machine from the DPM-console and the job completed successfully.

Kind Regards
Markus Eliasson


No comments :

Post a Comment